Thursday, November 08, 2007

Oldboy

"After being kidnapped and imprisoned for 15 years, Oh Dae-Su is released, only to find that he must find his captor in 5 days"

Thus begins Oldboy, a proof that not only American movies are deserved to be watched.

Directed by Chan-wook Park, an unknown director in Europe and USA, the film take us to a story where nothing is what it seems. When Dae-su is released from his prison, he begins a travel through his new life trying to discover why he was imprisoned, who was his captor and, most important, why they let him go free after 15 years. A mysterious story where the audience also get involved trying to solve the clues.

In my own opinion, the film makes me think, somehow, about Amelie. Although they are not linked in any apparent way, the movie has some "crazy" scenes where you can feel the same sense of humor, but it is a little bit more black in Oldboy.... - However, lot of people will disagree with me about that ;p. Anyway, I am sure they will agree more with me if I say that some scenes could be extracted from Quentin Tarantino's movie. If you watch the movie, you will understand why I say all of that, jeje.

It is very important to stand out the excellent Original Sound Track of the film, you can find an example in my "Kiops Mp3Player", some philosophic phrases that I detail below and some extra surprises ;D.

As I used to say,... ENJOY IT.
  • "Be it a grain of sand or rock, in water they sink as the same." 1:22
    "Sea un grano de arena o una piedra, en el agua se hunden igual."
  • "If you are alone, you see ants."
    "Cuando uno esta solo, ve hormigas."
  • "Ants move around in groups. So I guess that's why very lonely people keep thinking about ants."
    "Las hormigas se mueven en grupo, asi que imagino que las personas que estan muy solas, siempre ven muchas hormigas"
  • "Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone."
    "Rie, y el mundo reira contigo, llora, y lloraras solo."
  • "Like a gazelle from the hand of the hunter. Like a bird from the snare of the fowler. Free yourself. " 1:22
    "Como gacela de la mano del cazador, y como ave de la mano del que tiende trampas, ESCAPATE"
  • "You can't find the right answers if you ask the wrong questions." 1:31
    "Uno no puede hallar la respuesta correcta, si formula una pregunta incorrecta"

  • "Even though I'm worse than even a beast. Don't I have the right to live?" 1:47
    "Aunque no soy mas que una bestia, ¿no tengo derecho a vivir?"

दाविद पेरेज़

No comments: